Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Country Ramble


Today I traveled some of country roads in our Muswellbrook Shire to meet the country folk. I travelled from Kayuga to Sandy Hollow along the Wybong Road, and drove out along all the roads that went off to the right, such as Castlerock Rd, Ridgelands Rd, Powers Rd, Dry Creek Rd, Yarraman Rd, Wybong Post Office Rd etc. After a lunch stop in Sandy Hollow I then went out along Giants Creek Rd, and back to the Golden Highway via Greg Stairs Rd to Gungal. Then back home via Denman.

It took me most of the day, and 265 kilometers of driving, but it was well worth it. The scenery was terrific, with fascinating rock formations, flowing creeks after the rain, and friendly people. I even spotted a turtle in one of the causeways that had water flowing over it.

I was alarmed at the large area the Mangoola Coal Mine will cover - lots of locked gates to former farming properties with "no tresspassing" signs up. Its a pity that the beauty of the countryside will disappear to a coal mine. I hope that the other non-mine areas in the Shire will continue with their various farming activities, and that tourism opportunities will open up so that more people can enjoy the beauty of the rural areas of our Shire.

No comments: