Monday, September 1, 2008

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work we go

When we meet new people quite often the first question we ask them is what they do for work. We feel that knowing their occupation gives us an insight to whom they are. I believe that a persons being is far more complex than just the type of work they do. And I feel for unemployed people who don't have a job, as they often have a low self esteem from not being defined by the work they do. This is all a lead up to sharing of my present and past occupations to help introduce myself to those of you who have not met me as yet. But remember, I, like other people, are much more than an occupation.
My present work is as a casual Funeral Assistant working in all areas of the Muswellbrook Shire. This work has reinforced my value of the dignity of all people, from all works of life, both in death and in life. I only work on those few times each week when a funeral is held, so I have time available to work as an active Councilor if elected on the 13th.
My previous work was as an Office Coordinator for a community group in Muswellbrook, Before that I was the Co-ordinator of a group for men called 'Coping with Redundancy'. I also worked at the Rosemount Winery on the bottling line in Denman before it transfered its operations elsewhere, and pruned grape vines for a local vineyard.
To back-track a bit, I completed my Bachelor of Theology Degree in 1990. I was then appointed as a Minister in the Central West town Forbes, where I enjoyed the rural lifestyle for 7 years. Then I came to Muswellbrook to be a Minister here. In these two settings I learnt how to work with people from all backgrounds of life, of all ages, to value them, to be with them in their minor and major struggles, and to work alongside them to help them meet their needs. Also I experienced the joys and frustrations of chairing council and committee meetings.
To back-track even further, when I left High School I completed a Diploma of Youth work in Melbourne and for more than 20 years worked in a range of youth work position in Victoria and NSW. Some included being a Youth Worker for a church, managing a work co-operative for the unemployed, being a Youth Worker in a high school, co-ordinating and leading school holiday and after-school programs, running a youth drop-in centre, being an Adolescent and Family Counselor, and being a Municipal Youth Officer for a Shire Council. These work experiences gave me valuable skills in planning, submission writing for funding, budgeting, programming, marketing, networking and evaluating.
For variety I also worked for brief periods as a house plasterer, a boat salesperson, and a TV series actor.
I hope the above helps present a clearer picture of who I am, but more importantly of the skills that I have developed over the years which will be able to be utilised as an elected councilor.

No comments: